Friday, February 25, 2011

What I've Learned - PRSSA Communication Career Workshop

This year, as VP of Professional Development for PRSSA - SMU chapter, I had the honor of planning our annual Communication Career Workshop. When I first discovered what my job would entail, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I have to tell you that I now have a new respect for anyone who has ever had to or will ever have to plan an event. There is a lot more that goes into it than I could have ever imagined. From the small details of table linens, and food donations, to the gathering of professionals and key note speakers, this was a job that I definitely could not have done without the help of my wonderful exec board. 

But as much work as it was, it was probably the most rewarding experience I have had in a long time. To be able to work at something for months and finally see it all fall into place is such a rewarding feeling. Through this experience, I have made connections with students, professionals, and faculty members that I would never have had the chance to meet. 

I also got to see how much of a help this workshop can be to students. We had a great turnout of both professionals and students this year and to stand back and watch them interact and learn from each other was incredible. One of the best parts about being in college is that as a student, you can pretty much ask any question you want without coming off as stupid or ignorant. You can introduce yourself to a professional and ask for their advice in any area of life and they are so happy to help in any way they can. 

I am so thankful that our Communication Studies Department at SMU offers students opportunities like this to network and learn from professionals in the community. It is so nice to hear from someone who's been through exactly what we are going through right now. By learning from people already out there in the working world, we are all becoming better prepared to head out with confidence that we too will be able to land that job, and once we get it, know how to do the job well. 


1 comment: